Monday, February 24, 2014

PODCAST: Everyday Healing

MAKE IT COUNT

Welcome to another podcast episode of Everyday Healing.

I composed these thoughts over the Christmas holidays on the beautiful island of Oahu. I visited my son who is stationed at Schofield Army Barracks, and of course, enjoyed my three energetic grandchildren.

A big thanks to Jim and Deb, friends who made my dream come true. I ask you to join me in blessing them for their generosity!

Beforehand, my oncologist and I discussed taking a much-needed break from chemotherapy for a six-week period. It felt good to have increased energy and a release from a few of the more aggravating side effects from the treatments.

But now I’m back home--full of great memories and ready to catch up.

Today’s Scripture to consider is Philippians 1:12:

"But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel." 

Paul was in chains, imprisoned in Rome when he wrote those words to the believers in Philippi.

He de-emphasized his circumstance, however, to assure them that God was using his adversity to further the Gospel. He exhibited the love and victory found in Christ to everyone who guarded and tended to him. In turn, they shared with family and friends what they saw and heard. Thus, all of Rome was coming to know that Paul was held captive because of the Gospel, and the good news continued to be spread abroad despite the Apostle’s confinement.

Cancer attempts to box us into an oppressive regulated life--therapy, tests, hospitals, and doctors. Often, we cannot see a future beyond these things. The heaviness of our chains seek to diminish our hope over time and wear down our faith. After a while, we are tempted to give up because the fight is too hard, too painful, too full of side effects that work to rob us of the joys of normal, daily living.

Nevertheless, we must make a demand upon what is the full and sufficient grace already residing within us. Although not being as mobile and independent as before…despite having depleted reserves of energy and stamina, we can ask God to turn our situation into opportunities to further the Gospel—WITHIN our limitations—just like Paul.

Just click on the  title "Make It Count", and enjoy basking with me in the Lord's presence!


If this message blessed you, please share it freely with family and friends.

No comments: