Sunday, March 31, 2013

What Now?


For years, I felt frustrated at the end of each Easter service, as if I had truly missed something. I’d ponder “What now?” after the last hymn and dismissal from the Lily-decorated sanctuary. I didn't know how to take an historical event that I truly believed happened and make it an everyday reality in my Christian life thousands of Easters later.

What did I go there to celebrate? The glorious truth that Jesus rose from the dead, confirming everything He said was true. Because of my belief in Him, I will join Him in Heaven when I die and one day my physical body will be raised--just as His was--to be reunited with my spirit. Then all believers will live eternally in joy and peace. What wonderful news! For a far off day perhaps, but still--wonderful news!

So, I wrapped up Easter for another year and didn't think about it until the following spring. Memorial Day, graduation plans, and vacations were next on the calendar.

However, now I know that the Resurrection is an on-going, ever-growing gift to me. Its truth indwells and empowers me, and each Easter is no longer marked by going to church to memorialize what was, but a glorious expression of a present reality.

Throughout this Easter season, I’d like to share how my life began to change when I opened the Bible to see what transpired in the life of Jesus AFTER His Resurrection. Much to my surprise, I discovered He was very busy those forty days prior to His Ascension.

I particularly noticed how He took the initiative to appear to struggling, confused, and broken believers—yes, those ALREADY following Him--men and women who experienced a crisis of faith when the unexpected, the terrible, the “this doesn’t fit into my framework of positive religion” happened after His arrest and Crucifixion. Everyone who encountered Jesus during this time was transformed. Their faith was strengthened beyond a mere assent to facts.

In other words, they had their "What Now?" clearly answered!

Because Christ rose from the dead, so can we—not only one day from our physical graves, (a topic on which the Church tends to focus her Easter Sunday sermons), but from the here and now graves of deferred hopes and buried dreams, from the sepulchers of broken hearts and decaying faith.

That’s the real meaning of Easter. It began with Jesus’ Resurrection, but its continuing power is His gift to you and me today to expect and experience all kinds of resurrections right where we are--yes, in the mundane and challenging ruts of daily life--not once a year shielded behind stained glass windows.

We are in a season of our Lord’s love-filled appearing to weary travelers on their journey of faith, to sincere doubters behind closed doors, and to those who linger at tombs. It's time for heartburn, opened eyes, and the intimate breaking of bread with friends.

Invitations are going out for breakfast by the sea that you don't want to miss. Betrayers who feel all is lost are getting calls they never expected. The outdoor seminary at the feet of Jesus will soon begin.

Don’t let this extraordinary time pass you by!

No comments: